The unsung hero of this soup is 100% the liquid smoke, it gives off the fiery flavor that it really needs to make this soup feel more like a meal than a side dish. If you’re looking for a way to brighten your plates this winter, switch to a bowl and grab the necessary ingredients. This one is a winner.
2 tablespoons EVOO
4 large peeled carrots, chopped
4 large potatoes, diced very small
4 sticks of celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons of onion powder
2 tablespoons of turmeric
2 cups yellow split peas
1 cup of frozen corn
2 tablespoons vegetable Better Than Boullion
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
8 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste.
The turmeric is what brings a rich yellow tone into this soup, but it has much more to offer than its bright color. Turmeric has been noted through the ages for its health benefits including its use as a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Others use turmeric to help ward off things like the common cold but more research is needed to determine the validity of these kinds of claims. Nonetheless, it never hurts to add anti-inflammatories to every meal, so enjoy.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, and potatoes into a large soup pot with your extra virgin olive oil and sauté until carrots are nearly fork-tender.
- Stir in Better Than Boullion.
- Pour in water, seasoning and yellow split peas.
- Allow soup to simmer on medium heat for about forty-five minutes before adding liquid smoke, simmer an additional fifteen to twenty minutes afterward.
- The total cook time is roughly one hour.
- Add frozen corn just before serving to help cool the soup.
This is the third soup in our Rainbow of Soups Collection. With split pea out of the way, what are your guesses for the main ingredient in our next soup? The upcoming color is green and we all know that getting enough hearty green vegetables is incredibly important to maintaining a healthy body.
Follow our wild bunch on Insta to stay in the loop and as always, thanks for reading!