No rolling pins, no cookie cutters. This is a shortbread recipe for lazy bakers.
Yesterday I decided that I was going to try my hand at vegan shortbread cookies and to my surprise when I looked up a traditional shortbread recipe, it was already relatively vegan friendly. That being said, I’m not a super fan of using a lot of margarine or vegan butters (they’re good, just still not the healthiest choice) so I tweaked the recipe.
Despite what I was told in BOCES Food Service classes, that baking is a science, I’ve found that if you know your measurements you can still go rogue when you want to. So here we have it, Almond Butter Shortbread.
1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter.
1/2 cup almond butter.
1 tablespoon vanilla.
3/4 cup powdered sugar.
2 cups unbleached flour.
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed.
3 tablespoons water.
Dark chocolate (optional).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together almond butter, vegan butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add in flour (1/3 cup at a time).
- Add flaxseed.
- Add one tablespoon of water at a time until you have added all three.
- Scoop out uniform sized dough balls (I used a 2″ cookie scoop).
- Press cookies flat until they are roughly 1/2″ thick.
- Use a fork to poke holes in the center of the cookies, this step is completely unnecessary so feel free to dodge it if you’d like.
- Bake cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
If you feel like going one step further you can melt down some dark chocolate (I used Lindt 85% cocoa) in a double boiler and roll the edges of the cookies in the chocolate.
All thats left to do is take a bite and enjoy!♥
Keep your eyes peeled for more recipes and family updates.
Feel free to comment below if you have any questions or if you’d like to chat.
As always thanks for reading!♥