My fingertips are stained a vibrant yellow from the turmeric I added to my stirfry and my stomach is filled to the brim with pasta and cookies. Though I have a headache waving in and out I still wanted to get this recipe posted.
In recent years I haven’t had much of a sweet tooth but something about going vegan has brought out the sugar-loving kid in me. Or perhaps it’s the fact that I’ve been dying to pour as much healthy goodness into each day as I can stand. Anyhow, I was longing for chocolately cookies of some sort last night just before sleep swept me under the rug. So today, after an eight-hour shift, I came home on a mission. First, it was a homemade pasta sauce, followed by home fries and a vegetable stirfry with my new favorite spice (turmeric) and then baking a bunch of health packed cookies.
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce.
3/4 cup peanut butter.
2 flax eggs.
1 tablespoon vanilla.
1 cup dark brown sugar.
1 tablespoon baking powder.
1/3 cup cocoa powder.
1/4 cup hemp seeds.
1/4 cup chia seeds.
1 cup flour.
1 cup peanuts.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together peanut butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax and 6 tablespoons water).
- Once peanut butter mixture is combined mix in baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Wait until you’ve achieved a smooth, dark consistency and then mix in flour (I use unbleached), hemp seeds, chia seeds and lightly salted peanuts (or another peanut variety of your choice).
- Roll 1″ dough balls and space them evenly on a baking sheet before you smash them with a fork.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (bottoms will be golden).
This tasty little baking experiment gave me everything I’ve been looking for. Peanut butter and chocolate, sweet and salty; what more could you ask for? Of course, my little taste testers were all buzzing like bees around me in the kitchen and dove at the chance to get their hands on some cookies. They were a real hit with the boys and I’ll surely be having more tonight. The best part? We didn’t even add butter, faux butter or oil (not that peanut butter is fat-free or anything), we also did this without the use of any dairy or eggs and managed to incorporate peanuts, flax, chia, and hemp.
Guilt-free and loaded with goodness.♥
Let me know below if you give these cookies a try or if you have any questions and as always, thanks for reading!♥