Hey everyone! Sorry for all of the recipe spam lately, but I will surely lose my recipes if I don’t log them somewhere better than loose pieces of paper like I regularly do. No joke, I once lost an apple pie recipe for seven years and it was devastating.
No part of me regrets going vegan.
In fact I’ve already lost five pounds (in addition to the fifty-two pounds I lost after going vegetarian) and I feel great all around. I feel more physically fit, like I have more mental clarity and just more lightweight all around (no more big, meaty meals weighing down my belly). That being said, I’m missing a couple things and mac n’ cheese is one of them.
I searched Pinterest for any recipe that I had all of the ingredients for with hopes that I could curb the craving and so many of them called for things like sweet potatoes, squash, raw cashews, or purred carrots. They all sounded delicious, but I simply wasn’t in the mood to run to the grocery store or to follow eighty steps to accomplish my goal.
All I wanted was a simple recipe, so I made one.
1 box of noodles.
1 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk.
3 tablespoons cornstarch.
1/3 cup nutritional yeast.
1 teaspoon lemon juice.
1 heaping teaspoon salt (I used himalayan pink).
3 teaspoons Earth Balance non-dairy butter.
- Get yourself a medium sauce pan and pour in your cashew milk and whisk in your cornstarch before turning on the heat.
- Mix in nutritional yeast and lemon juice then allow the combination to simmer on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with whisk.
- Season to taste with garlic and onion powder (I used a half teaspoon of each).
- Once the “cheese” sauce is looking exceptionally rich and creamy spoon in your three teaspoons of non-dairy butter and stir well.
- Pour sauce over noodles and enjoy!
Honestly, I wasn’t confident that this was going to turn out at all. The entire time that the sauce was on simmer all that went through my head was “I’m throwing away money right now.” As soon as the sauce thickened up, I gave it a quick taste and was immediately proud of myself. Here I thought vegan cooking was going to be this big challenge for me but everything has been coming together so well.
Feel free to leave your thoughts below and as always, thank you for reading! ♥