I had hoped that our next move would be the last but at the moment, it’s not seeming like that will be the way things are going to work out. We moved into our current apartment one year ago as of February first, and as of that same date this year we will be moving to a new apartment this year as well.
Here’s how things went the last time that we moved:
The basement was full of nothing but junk, old things from my childhood, clothes from past employment, old toys of my son’s. Almost everything down there was stained, tattered or destroyed in some way. Upstairs there were countless toys, endless amounts of clothing, furniture, dishes, closets full of crafting supplies and other random items. Not to mention, my boyfriend had just moved in fully not long before we moved so there were items of his that weren’t quite put away yet. Then there’s me.. Miss only ever moved once before, completely unaware that I should actually box anything up. I had this idea that if I purchased enough totes and unpacked them quickly then we would have a nice smooth operation. Bad idea.
This time I am devising a specific list of how things are going to go.
Moving To Do List
Step number one, do the deep cleaning.
- Scrub the walls and baseboards of our current apartment.
- Vacuum (use carpet powder).
- Scrub the bathrooms.
- Clean the tops of the cupboards.
- Wash upstairs windows and windowsills.
- Clean the fans.
Step number two, start packing.
- Pack up bookshelf (but take a picture first; I finally got it organized in a way that I like).
- Pack up any unboxed basement storage.
- Box all clothes that aren’t worn on a regular basis.
- Begin to pack up baby and toddler toys.
- Take down all of the pictures (and remove all the tiny nails from the walls).
- Crafting supplies.
- All of the stuff crammed into the desk.
- Extra shoes and coats from the front room.
- Pack up things from garage storage.
Step number three, in the days before moving pack all of the following.
- Pots and pans.
- Towels and other bathroom supplies.
- Food from the cupboards.
- Remaining clothes.
- Blankets, pillows and other bed items.
- Remaining kids toys.
- Roll up the rugs.
Step number four: MOVING DAY!
- Washer and dryer.
- Living room furniture.
- Dining room furniture.
- Double check for any and all odds and ends.
- Take out all of the plug protectors.
- Order pizza (and have some cold beers ready) for all of our handy helpers!
Step number five, finish cleaning everything.
- Clean the microwave.
- Go over the bathrooms again.
- Any other wall smudges?
- Wash the doors.
- Wash downstairs windows and windowsills.
- Vacuum basement.
By the end of cleaning I have hopes that this place will look like we never even lived here, no dog hair, no finger prints, no dirt or grime of any kind.
More than anything I wish I could just disappear for five hours and come home to an already empty and clean apartment, then make my way to the new one and have everything already organized and put away. That’s just not how things work.
If you have any moving tips, PLEASE share in the comments below!