So I am attempting to try and teach myself to let go a little bit, accept what I cannot change and ultimately become a little bit better of a person all around (not that I’m not great already).
Step one in teaching myself mindfulness, learn what it is.
The definition I found via OxfordDictionaries.com is as follows:
“A mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.”
Step two in teaching myself mindfulness, search how-to lists online.
I found books, articles, numbers for psychologists and all kinds of things but the gist of each article I read through pretty much said the same things.
- Don’t believe that everything you think, is a fact.
- Remind yourself daily to be thankful.
- Breathe. (As in take deep breaths and relax when you feel yourself getting tense).
- Accept that there are some things you cannot change.
- Allow yourself to feel everything the same, but process the negative emotions differently.
There it is. My list of to-do’s to achieve a more relaxed self. I found out about mindfulness on complete accident, I was late night patrolling twitter and became curious about the term when I saw it. The need I feel to be the best possible person I can be stems from my need to be the best possible mother I can be to my children.
I’m not trying to become the next Hakuna Matata preaching person on the internet, don’t worry, but I probably will update on how it’s going soon.